Sunday 23 February 2014

Features


 

Although all the text is in black I made the text different size and font to emphasise each ones importance and to spilt them up I used the pink lines.


I wanted it to be clear that my cover was a old skool R&B magazine so to 'introduce' it I used the statement 'bringing back old skool R&B' to make it clear.

I noticed on many R&B covers that the issue date was near the bottom of the page along with the barcode. I thought that for my magazine it would look better at the top and if collected over the year the reader would see the changes in the ‘music world’.
Although my magazine was targeted at old skool R&B I still wanted it to keep it with contemporary times this is the reason I added the Beyonce feature. I find nowadays a lot of the time R&B can be easily confused with other genres as artists try and fuse different genres together, i feel that Beyonce has transitioned well from old skool R&B and some of her more recent tracks still have a old skool vibe to them. From some older articles I saw that most coincided Janet Jackson as ‘The Queen of R&B’, for this particular feature I thought it may cause some controversy and bring back memories for the 20+ readers. And the reason for why I included some old skool artists towards the bottom of the cover.
The Def Soul and Def Jam top 10 tunes is a insight on what the R&B world have been listening to and can show what new songs and releases are out, I also plan to incorporate this with my double page spread.
The exclusive feature at the at the bottom of the cover will be on the contents page along with a picture of the artist, I thought that a small introduction on the cover would intrigue the reader. I was initially going to make my magazine £2.00 but thought that was not the right amount due to the amount of content inside the magazine so I changed it to £2.50 which I thought was a reasonable price. This is also the reason why I had the small graphic directly opposite the price and barcode, the ’12 extra pages’ show the reader that they are getting a lot more out of their money.

The artist’s name along with the masthead is the biggest text on the cover to make it stand out and make the reader aware that ‘Jaci Mone’ is the cover story. Originally I was going to put the cover story before the pullquote after reconsidering it I thought that it would make more sense to switch it around.The ‘Drake Ft. Aaliyah’ feature was used to show how contemporary and past artist mix and also how different genres mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment